Active Ship Models
"Drop to Fusion-Shift, and prepare to open fire!"
Among the three recognized types of Starship (Transport, Strike, and Capital) there are numerous "Classes" which designate a ships purpose and design within a fleet or as a individual ship. Modifications can be conducted to a ship though extensive modification is quite expensive and timely. Most ships are modified moderately and only in a capacity that will not endanger their purpose. Outside of a ship's class (such as Carrier, or Corvette) there is its model. Models are built by specific nations, cultures, and peoples within the Triad and with each design closely guarded by members of the Artificers Guild.
Transports are one of the most common form of craft found among the Sea of Stars and come in a variety of Classes. The smallest being Shuttles which can be docked upon larger ships or used for transportation between colonies or even worlds. Much larger classes include the Starliner (a large personnel Transport) or the Cog Class cargo transport.
Known Classes include:
- Shuttle Class - The Smallest and least open of the Transport Craft. Shuttles generally can only carry a maximum of ten individuals and small amounts of cargo at a time.
- Ketch Class - The Ketch Class is a small personal vessel used by the wealthy and others to transport their own personnel outside of traditional Shuttles. Ketches can be slightly larger than shuttles and yet are smaller than Starliners. They are often fitted with two Solar-Sails allowing middle Factor speeds (Factors 4 to 5).
- Cog Class - Cogs are larger ships that can carry large amounts of cargo (several thousand kilolivres at a time).
- Starliner Class - Starliners are one of the largest of the known Transport Craft in the Triad and can hold a total of several hundred personnel at a given time. They can transport hundreds of passengers as well. Some are outfitted as exploration vessels or as mobile labs.
- Hermes Shuttle (Shuttle)
- Hectate Liner (Starliner)
- Athena Explorer (Starliner)
- Knarr Transport (Cog)
- Panokseon Yacht (Ketch)
Combat craft are often the first line of defense and offense for fleets and stationary space positions. One of the few types of ship that can easily enter and leave orbit, Strike Craft are used across the Triad and beyond as a means of raiding and striking out at enemies from a distance. Most if not all Strike Craft are 'charged' rather than holding their own AFD engine. Those that do possess as AFD are known as "Range Fighters" versus the normal "Patrol Fighters" which make up the primary line of defense for Capital Craft and Space Stations.
Known Classes include:
- Range Fighters - A long range fighter that usually carries two individuals and supplies for prolonge flights. They are designed for atmospheric and space flight. Range Fighters also possess their own AFD engine which enables them to enter half Fusion Drive speeds.
- Patrol Fighter - Patrol Fighters are shorter ranged ships which must recharge at regular intervals to allow energy from a larger AFD Cor to energize their Fusion drives. Patrol Fighters can often reach full Fusion speed, but often drain their batteries quickly in doing so.
- Gunship Corvette - Gunships are a heavy armored and armed Corvette which are capable of transporting troops and items out into a battle field. This means they often serve as support in combat and are often used in atmospheric and space based warefare.
- Light Corvette - A lightly armored patrol ship that can act as a support combat vessel for Capital or Strike Craft, and can even be outfitted with a Solar Sail to achieve Fulring Factor 1 travel.
- Falcon Z-13 (Range Fighter)
- Razor Flyer (Range Fighter)
- Sigma X-2 (Range Fighter)
- Phalanx Guard (Patrol Fighter)
- Phalanx Spear (Patrol Fighter) - Bomber
- Kestrel X-3 (Light Corvette)
- Longspear HG-1 (Gunship Corvette)
The largest of the Craft and often holding a large crew of anywhere to thirty to a few hundred. Most Capital Craft are used in Naval Defense Forces, and often carry a full compliment of combat soldiers to defend against boarding. Capital Craft generally carry heavy weaponry and are able to do quite a bit of damage. However, heavy guns require extreme amounts of energy to fire, target and cool while in combat (while also stabilizing the ship's position in combat). This means that unlike fighters, a ship cannot enter three quarters or full shift when firing their heavy guns.
Known Classes include:
- Brigantine Class - The Brigantine Class is light frigate used in escort and general patrol missions. They are often three heavy guns on either broadside and five light guns. Their speed is generally between 5 to 6 in max and they often possess three Solar Sails.
- Clipper Class - The Clipper Class is a medium frigate designed for speed and long distance travel. They are lightly armed and medium armored making them good long distance patrol and exploratory vessels. Their speed is due to the six Solar Sails they are equipped with.
- Ship-Of-The-Line - A heavy cruiser that is often the lead ship in an attack fleet or squadron of ships. Ships-Of-The-Line are so named as they form the spine of the general broadside combat found within large scale spatial battles. They can also carry three Chevaliers and a small complement of fighters if necessary (this reduces crew complement however). They generally have the standard four Solar Sails of Capital Craft.
- Carriers - The largest craft found in the Triad and one of the slowest. Carriers are massive ships which can take years to complete and generally become the flag ships of their given Houses. So unique and power they are they are rarely put into service unless for defense, or for prolonged warfare (as they are an active base of operations for multiple reasons). They generally have eight Solar Sails and a max speed of Factor Seven.